Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Scars

“Scars show us where we have been, they do not dictate where we are going.” 

Scars are an everyday reminder of what life has brought to me. Some of my scars have brought me more joy then I could ever imagine and some have brought me more pain then I thought possible.

Most of us have at least one scar. Some don't compare to others, but we all have them. If you don't have a physical scar, then you have an emotional scar.

I pretty much have a tic tak toe board on my stomach. I have scars that cross from one side to the other. Scars they have reopened a handful of times. I have scars that are so small that I only know they are there. But each one of my scars represents my journey through this life.

I used to want to cover up my scars. Maybe put a huge tattoo over my stomach that way no one would know they were there. Maybe I wouldn't even realize that they were there. Covering them up would be like erasing them from my memory. But I realize that my scars give me strength. They give me courage. They give me hope that I can get through anything.

I have scars that have saved my life and scars that have brought me life. Each one tells a story. A story that is unique. No one scar is like another. But yet they are all connected.

I used to think that I could not feel beautiful or sexy with all my scars. I used to think that no man would find me beautiful or sexy if he saw the scars that covered my body. But my scars are what make me beautiful. I do not let them define who I am but they do surround my character. I do not think I would be the person I am today without each and every scar.

I have scars that I don't want anyone to see because I have not healed from them yet.The scar I have on my breast is still very raw where as the scars on my stomach , I feel as though I have healed as much as I can from them for the time being.

I know there will be plenty of new scars to come. I wish there weren't but I know that each new one will come with a new strength and a new hope.







1 comment:

  1. Wow. I just came across this blog. I'm a cancer surviver. Nearly 5 years. I, too, have a tick tack toe board across my abdomen. Thanks for putting words to the battle I fight every time that I get dressed.

    ReplyDelete